Software Engineer and Researcher with over a decade of experience in industry and academia. I’m an expert in adaptive networking and control solutions for wireless mesh, where my interests lie in tackling next-generation industrial challenges such as: Smart Infrastructure, Wireless Control, and Cooperative Robotics.
Internet of Things (IoT), Mesh Networks, Secure Wireless Communications, Multi-Radio Systems, Industrial Wireless Control, Software Defined Networking (SDN), Drones, Autonomous Robotics, RF Backscatter
- PhD in “Software Defined Networking for the Industrial Internet of Things” from the University of Bristol, UK.
- MEng in Computer and Electronic Systems from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK.
- M. Baddeley. “Software Defined Networking for the Industrial Internet of Things”, Ph.D dissertation, Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Univ. Bristol, 2020. [bib | manuscript | slides]
Open Source Projects
- µSDN: A low-overhead SDN stack and lightweight controller for embedded devices. [bib | paper | slides]
- Journal of Systems Research (JSys), diamond open-access journal (i.e., free-to-read, free-to-publish)
(Co-)Organisation of Conferences
- Co-Chairing the 4th Workshop on Benchmarking Cyber-Physical Systems and Internet of Things (CPS-IoTBench). Virtual Conference. May 2021.
Technical Program Committee Memberships
- The 18th IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (SECON). Rome, Italy. July 2021.
- CPS-IoTBench 2020 – “Experimenting During Lockdown: The Importance of Remote Testbeds Post COVID” [youtube | slides]
- M. Baddeley, A. Aijaz, U. Raza, A. Stanoev, M. Schuß, CA. Boano, and G. Oikonomou, 6TiSCH++ with Bluetooth 5 and Concurrent Transmissions. In 2021 International Conference on Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks (EWSN). February 2021. [bib | PDF | youtube | slides]
- M. Baddeley, CA. Boano, A. Escobar-Molero, Y. Liu, X. Ma, U. Raza, M. Schuß, and A. Stanoev, The Impact of the Physical Layer on the Performance of Concurrent Transmissions. In IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP). Virtual event. May 2020 [bib | PDF | youtube (1:01:54) | slides]
- M. Baddeley, U. Raza, G. Oikonomou, R. Nejabati, M. Sooriyabandara, and D. Simeonidou, Atomic-SDN: Is Synchronous Flooding the Solution to Software Defined Networking in IoT? IEEE Access, May 2019. [bib | PDF]
- M. Baddeley, R. Nejabati, G. Oikonomou, M. Sooriyabandara, and D. Simeonidou, Evolving SDN for Low-Power IoT Networks,” in 2018 IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft). Montreal, Canada. June. 2018. [bib | PDF]
- M. Baddeley, R. Nejabati, G. Oikonomou, S. Gormus, M. Sooriyabandara, and D. Simeonidou, Isolating SDN Control Traffic with Layer-2 Slicing in 6TiSCH Industrial IoT Networks. In 2017 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks (NFV-SDN). Berlin, Germany. November 2017. [bib | PDF]