Software Engineer and Researcher with over a decade of experience in industry and academia. I’m an expert in adaptive networking and control solutions for wireless mesh, where my interests lie in tackling next-generation industrial challenges such as: Smart Infrastructure, Wireless Control, and Cooperative Robotics.
Internet of Things (IoT), Mesh Networks, Secure Wireless Communications, Multi-Radio Systems, Industrial Wireless Control, Software Defined Networking (SDN), Drones, Autonomous Robotics, RF Backscatter
- PhD in “Software Defined Networking for the Industrial Internet of Things” from the University of Bristol, UK.
- MEng in Computer and Electronic Systems from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK.
- M. Baddeley. “Software Defined Networking for the Industrial Internet of Things”, Ph.D dissertation, Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Univ. Bristol, 2020.
[bib | manuscript | slides]
Open Source Projects
- OSF: Open Synchronous Flooding.
[bib | paper]
- µSDN: A low-overhead SDN stack and lightweight controller for embedded devices.
[bib | paper | slides]
- Journal of Systems Research (JSys), diamond open-access journal (i.e., free-to-read, free-to-publish)
(Co-)Organisation of Conferences
- Co-Chair – 1st Workshop on Unconventional Security for Wireless Communications (USWC). Linz, Austria. October 2022.
- Co-Chair – 5th Workshop on Benchmarking Cyber-Physical Systems and Internet of Things (CPS-IoTBench). Hybrid Conference. Milan, Italy. May 2022.
- Co-Chair – 4th Workshop on Benchmarking Cyber-Physical Systems and Internet of Things (CPS-IoTBench). Virtual Conference. May 2021.
Technical Program Committee Memberships
- The 2022 IEEE 95th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2022-Spring). Helsinki, Finland. June 2022.
- The 18th Annual International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS 2022). LA, California. May 2022.
- The 18th IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (SECON). Rome, Italy. July 2021.
Peer Review Activities
- CPS-IoTBench 2020 – “Experimenting During Lockdown: The Importance of Remote Testbeds Post COVID” [youtube | slides]
- [NEW!] M. Baddeley, Y. Gyl, M. Schuss, X. Ma, and CA. Boano, OSF: An Open-Source Framework for Synchronous Flooding over Multiple Physical Layers. In Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks (EWSN). Linz, Austria. October 2022.
[bib | PDF | code]
- M. Baddeley, A. Aijaz, U. Raza, A. Stanoev, M. Schuß, CA. Boano, and G. Oikonomou, 6TiSCH++ with Bluetooth 5 and Concurrent Transmissions. In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks (EWSN). Virtual event. February 2021.
[bib | PDF | youtube | slides]
- M. Baddeley, CA. Boano, A. Escobar-Molero, Y. Liu, X. Ma, U. Raza, M. Schuß, and A. Stanoev, The Impact of the Physical Layer on the Performance of Concurrent Transmissions. In Proceedings of the 28th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP). Virtual event. October 2020.
[bib | PDF | youtube (1:01:54) | slides]
- M. Baddeley, U. Raza, G. Oikonomou, R. Nejabati, M. Sooriyabandara, and D. Simeonidou, Atomic-SDN: Is Synchronous Flooding the Solution to Software Defined Networking in IoT? IEEE Access, May 2019.
[bib | PDF]
- M. Baddeley, R. Nejabati, G. Oikonomou, M. Sooriyabandara, and D. Simeonidou, Evolving SDN for Low-Power IoT Networks,” in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft). Montreal, Canada. June. 2018.
[bib | PDF | code]